Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Article : My Life with Epilepsy

My Life with Epilepsy

By Mdm. Chang Choon Foong

I suddenly collapsed while working in a laboratory at the age of thirty seven. When I gained my consciousness in a clinic and heard my colleagues related what had happened to me, fear came to me immediately that I thought I won’t be normal anymore. I was then married with two children, had a good job and a happy family, then this weird thing, I thought to myself, had spoilt my life. I had to give up driving and outdoor activities like swimming, I felt dishearten, unfriendly and constantly worried when would be the next attack.

A helpful colleague brought me to meet Dr. Selva at the General Hospital Neurology Department and had a CT scan of my brain. He asked if anything had happened to me before the attack, I told him I ate mutton at a restaurant for the first time. Chinese refer epilepsy as goat’s sickness and the Malays called it ‘gilababi’. I felt inferior with that name. Dr. Selva laugh heartily and later used to tease me whenever I met him in the hospital. I wish to thank Dr. Selva for later giving me a MRI scan and explained to me about epilepsy and gave courage to face my sickness. Since then I was a regular visitor to the General Hospital, I had seizures in between but I was blessed to have a caring family and helpful colleagues to console and reassure me.

Years passed by but cause of my convulsion was still unknown, I decided to do my own analysis. I collected information from my mother regarding the history of our family and the physical conditions of myself during younger days. I studied and noted down all aspects of my daily life just before the attacks. I even did experiments by reducing medication after cease of attack for two years. I was saddened when the attack came back. The doctor on appointment was unhappy and sent me to see a psychiatrist! From that day onwards I kept myself very strict on my medication and continued my analysis.

As I grew older, my dismay gradually diminished especially when I saw other patients whose conditions were worse than mine but they showed fearless. At times I did thought that it was a divine punishment but then again I analyzed that it was only in hospital that I saw suffering of sickness and that gave me a desire and decision to get involve in welfare activities.

I am now a fifty five years old grandmother, with prompt medication and regular medical check up and most importantly keeping a good temperament, for that I have no seizure for the last three years, I am jovial, confident, enjoy outdoor activities and pray that one day I no longer need the medication and I can share my joy and experience and simply say epilepsy is like a common flu.



Source : Malaysian Society of Epilepsy

[tags : ]

No comments: